Car boot bargain sander, though not if you include labour lol

Talk about the tools you rate
Rorschach
Top Dog

Car boot bargain sander, though not if you include labour lol

Postby Rorschach » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:40 pm

At the car boot yesterday I saw a MacAllister 10.8v sander, the mouse style ones. It was brand new in box being sold because the blokes wife had bought it for him in a sale but he didn't have the right kind of battery for it. Now I don't have the right type of battery either but I thought I might be able to modify it to work with my draper batteries. £2.50 including a load of sanding sheets so I thought it was worth a punt and would be a bit of a fun challenge if nothing else.

Well first thing I did was let the smoke out! :lol: Blew a couple of diodes when I did a test connection with my battery. Either the Mac batteries have some kind of funny wiring or there was a fault in there, or me of course. Not to worry, the circuit board only complicated matters and was only there to run a couple of little LED's so wasn't going to be much help. Cut it all out and wired into the switch direct since the motor is 12v anyway and worked fine when connected directly to my battery.
Probably spent about 2 hours tinkering around, shifting the pins and making a very slight mod to the internal battery compartment.
Happy to state though that it now works like a champ, my batteries fit snugly inside and don't rattle loose, the switch works fine and the sander runs smoothly. I think it will be really good with my fine grades of paper for little touch ups and also be helpful doing odd corners that my big 6" ROS can't get to.
Can't really count the labour since I had fun doing it and for the cost of a pint it was worth it for entertainment value alone.

dickllewellyn
Tool Jury & Moderator

Re: Car boot bargain sander, though not if you include labour lol

Postby dickllewellyn » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:10 pm

Nice one. Sometimes the satisfaction is worth more than anything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards Richard (dick) Llewellyn

Powered by Laphroaig.

Rorschach
Top Dog

Postby Rorschach » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:29 am

dickllewellyn wrote:Nice one. Sometimes the satisfaction is worth more than anything!

Yes it was very satisfying.

I have since found that MacAllister also made a multi tool, something I can't get for my current battery range. Picked up a NOS on ebay for just over a tenner, hopefully will be another successful conversion. I really like my mains multitool since you can do really long cuts in floorboards for instance but there are many little DIY jobs where a cordless version would be so much better.

Aaron
Tool Jury

Postby Aaron » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:34 am

I do like car boot sales. A good place to pick some old chisels or planes. You can't get good quality steel in new chisels these days so the oldies are great. Takes some hunting but can normally find a good plane or chisel. Normally requires a lot of work to get it nice again but looks good in the end and performs much better then new stuff imo.

Rorschach
Top Dog

Postby Rorschach » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Ok multi tool conversion was also a success, same process, cut out the circuit board and re-wire, moving the pins to suit. It runs smooth and quiet (well for a multi tool lol). Only problem I do have is that the vibration when making a cut can wiggle the battery out, so I am going to add either a strap or clip to help secure the battery, otherwise I am very happy.

Rorschach
Top Dog

Postby Rorschach » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:37 pm

Update on the sander, used in anger for the first time today by my partner, perfect for her little hands. It removed material fast with a good pad on it, comfortable to use and not too noisy. I started with a fully charged battery, she used it for a good 15-20 minutes sanding a box and when I checked the battery in my drill it was still showing 2 out of 3 bars for battery level. I had expected it to be a real battery drain since unlike a drill it is running constantly but it seems it's not too bad. It will be interesting to see how the multi tool is for battery drain, I am suspecting it will be hard on them since it will be bogged down more.

Badger_1
Top Dog

Postby Badger_1 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:58 pm

Well done on the sander.

With regards boot sales. I went to 1 last Sunday and was sickened by how many tools (clearly stolen) were been offered for sale. These chaps had 3 or 4 of the same Makita drills all with different initials on them. A vast amount of gear. I noticed a 1/2 " dewalt router and in the box was the pins from a worktop jig. Clearly stolen

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Black and yellow badger

Rorschach
Top Dog

Postby Rorschach » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:35 pm

Yeah I see some stuff that looks dodgy but not all, our car boot has a few tool dealers there, they always have lots of kit with names on it and stuff but it's legit, they are too well known and too big to be dealing in stolen stuff. I am always wary of the small guys who have suspicious looking tools though, I don't touch them no matter what the price.

Return to “Tool Talk”