Uniforms and work wear

Chat about trades & work
dickllewellyn
Tool Jury & Moderator

Uniforms and work wear

Postby dickllewellyn » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:42 am

I was chatting to a mate the other day who was telling me about the new polo shirts he was ordering for his company. It got me to thinking about work wear requirements and uniforms. Whenever I worked for other companies we would be issued with polo shirts, but we had to provide trousers, jumpers etc. I just used to wear cheap boot cut jeans from asda!

Since being self employed, I've had a few batches of polo shirts embroidered. When I had full time employees we all had matching pools which looked quite smart, but now it's just me and a couple of subbies again I don't bother. I'm quite lucky in that I pick up quite a lot of freebie t shirts, and I've got a few stanley polo shirts now that I've collected, so I just tend to wear those now and save my pennies for tools and things. It does mean that I tend to get called Stan fairly often though!

What does everyone else think about branding etc?

Those that work for companies, are you made to wear anything unusual? Do you get all your workwear supplied?
Regards Richard (dick) Llewellyn

Thanks for all the fish

john
Tool Jury & Moderator

Re: Uniforms and work wear

Postby john » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:22 pm

I like to always wear a company polo for work, I have gone through a few different colours and styles. Its heather grey with navy embroidery at the moment

Just ordered a load of charcoal colour with orange embroidery for a change, plus a couple of hivizs too. Got a few for the kids and a couple of hivizs for them too

I think it gets me a bit of work and probably gets me a bit of extra discount every now from the odd merchant.

I think the branding is important and especially on first meeting a client it conveys a good impression.

I cant be bothered with all the branded hoodies and fleeces and hats etc. I had a baseball cap and trousers printed with my firms name when I started out, I must have looked a proper plonker. Just a smartish polo and a business card does for me.
Powered by Yorkshire Tea
Proud Supporter of Glenfiddich 12

dickllewellyn
Tool Jury & Moderator

Postby dickllewellyn » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:50 am

I was the same. Pools, fleeces, trousers etc. Now it's usually shorts or plain work trousers (sometimes combats or jeans) and a polo shirt of some sort. Usually stanley polo as I seem to have collected quite a few over the years!

My last lot of pools I had embroidered were when I had staff. I ordered myself the "technical" ones that are supposed to keep cool, wick sweat etc. I found they just felt clammy all the time. Particularly if worn under a soft shell jacket. I still have one in the drawer if I know I've got a heavy hot day somewhere, but otherwise I reckon you can't beat cotton or poly cotton. The only down side to cotton is it takes forever to dry if it gets wet and sucks warmth away from the body when wet. Not usually an issue in this country though with a jacket on the van!
Regards Richard (dick) Llewellyn

Thanks for all the fish

Aaron
Tool Jury

Postby Aaron » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:34 pm

At the moment I'm dewalt trousers dewalt boots and Stanley t-shirts. I love them t-shirts the yellow vents actually are a really good idea and I have noticed I don't sweat as much since I started wearing them. I live them and now wear them all the time and have stopped wearing our company t-shirts because I prefer these. If I had enough I think I would wear them every working day.

john
Tool Jury & Moderator

Postby john » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:13 am

I have been wearing my one too Aaron, they are proper nice to wear. My new batch of printed polos should be here this week hopefully