Tool Jury

Dry lining

Postby stevowhite_22 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:56 am

Hi all I have been watching a few videos to get tips for dry lining
And I have found these

For installing http://youtu.be/V8qSCklTJ0E

For taping joints http://youtu.be/j3ME-c96874

And for getting a real smoth finish http://youtu.be/OUxt_DQlSR8
Last edited by stevowhite_22 on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
(Stevowhite_22)

Better to wear out than to rust out.

dickllewellyn
Tool Jury & Moderator

Re: Dry lining

Postby dickllewellyn » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:12 am

That's quite an interesting find Steve. Not sure I'm convinced though, I think I would prefer mesh tape and filling over as I think it will make sanding easier. Just watch with whatever method you use you don't put too much on or you will be sanding all day, but equally don't scrimp as it will sand down. Particularly if you use easyfill (which I use loads of for chases etc too!)

Personally I would prefer to have the walls skimmed. I guess if you were keen to save money you could try taping and filling first, then if you're not happy with the result it can always be skimmed over afterwards.

We do have a plastering expert on here, hopefully he will shed some more light onto pros and cons.
Regards Richard (dick) Llewellyn

Thanks for all the fish

stevowhite_22
Tool Jury

Postby stevowhite_22 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:20 am

I am going to give dry lining a go first to try and save much needed money
And then like you say I can always have skimmed afterwards if I don't like the finish.
Steve
(Stevowhite_22)

Better to wear out than to rust out.

Rossi7x
Top Dog

Postby Rossi7x » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:21 am

If you've got a lot to do Steve… I'd hire one of these…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc0OVyOp6d4
Rossi7x
DEWALT Official Product Tester..

Kenny ken
Tool Jury

Postby Kenny ken » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:45 am

I was working alongside some dry wallers at the environmental health building we was working in last year, looks the way forward to me. They were using the paper tape and I must say I was impressed at the end product. Looked like it had been plastered but took half the time and i assume Half the cost. That grade 5 looks like a good idea aswell when I come to doing my landing I'll be trying this out. I think you've chose the best way forward steve ( coming from a chippy lol )
If you only do what u can do, you will never be more than you are now.

dickllewellyn
Tool Jury & Moderator

Postby dickllewellyn » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm

I see you've added another couple videos since I looked this morning Steve. Very interesting. I like the idea of the grade 5 finish, that could be used on any wall I guess to avoid re plastering.

That Festool device looks good Rossi, I wonder how often you would need to swap the abrasive? That has always been the down fall really. Would the mesh type abrasives be any good on there I wonder? They might not clog up quite so readily.
Regards Richard (dick) Llewellyn

Thanks for all the fish

Rossi7x
Top Dog

Postby Rossi7x » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:06 pm

dickllewellyn wrote:That Festool device looks good Rossi, I wonder how often you would need to swap the abrasive? That has always been the down fall really. Would the mesh type abrasives be any good on there I wonder? They might not clog up quite so readily.

I think that the New Mesh type of abrasives (abranet) are an improvement on the classic papers of Old.. However, Festool seem to have a variety of Papers, for differing applications.. If I go to buy 150mm discs for my Rotex, the list of options in each grit size is ridiculous.. However, buy the right paper, and it lasts a lot longer..

The most notable thing with the Festool Discs, is the number of Holes in them for getting the maximum Dust extraction for the job you are doing.. I have noticed that on cheaper machines, the paper clogs quicker as the dust is trapped in between the paper and the workpiece, and almost acts like little marble beads. The friction generated by the machine almost causes the 'marbles' to heats up, and then clog the sanding discs much quicker..

I think that this (and all) Festool machines work better because of their attention to detail over the dust extraction, although I am sure that this would be even better with the 'Mesh' style papers..

When I am sanding 'Corian' style products, or even Hardwood Kitchen Worktops (Oak, Wenge or Walnut) I can only get the best finish and dust extraction from the Festool range of sanders..

My Rotex 150 even gets an outing a couple of times a year (with a Mop head on it) to Mop and Polish the Van and Car….
Rossi7x
DEWALT Official Product Tester..

Locksmithmatt
Top Dog
Location: East London / Essex. ( will work anywhere for the right job)

Postby Locksmithmatt » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:49 pm

I was working in a office re fit before Christmas for one of my regulars , all of his guys are from Eastern Europe and they all use festool , the dry liners had the sander in Jullians link and there was hardly a spec of dust

It is a pleasure working in that environment , I use my dust extractor all the time now saves on clearing up mess all over the room

Depending on how much the festool is to hire ITS do a copy one for 250

The finish on the wall was spot on and a lot less messy than plaster

Return to “Video & Funnies”